Chlorophyll Fluorometer for Phytoplankton
The WATER-PAM-II is next to PHYTO-PAM-II, the instrument of choice for phytoplankton analysis. It can be used for laboratory cultures as well as natural water samples when very low chlorophyll contents of samples require ultra-sensitive fluorescence detection.
The WATER-PAM-II is a portable cuvette system for analysing the photosynthetic activity of a wide variety of phytoplankton samples. The light weight instrument offers a wide range of applications thanks to its large sensitivity spectrum, the ability to easily switch between red and blue light mode (measuring light and actinic light) and a variety of accessories such as a flow-through cuvette.
With the WATER-PAM-II a detailed analysis can be made of the photosynthetic activity of phytoplankton samples including quenching parameters. It can be used as a stand-alone instrument or connected to an external computer on which WinControl-3 software is run. In addition to simple single measurements, analysis protocols such as induction curves and light curves can be performed with easy-to-use program routines.
A new feature of WATER-PAM-II instruments is the differential analysis of algal content, providing a tool to determine the composition of algae populations with respect to three algae groups (green algae, cyanobacteria and brown algae), based on differences in the F-spectrum of these algal groups. A deconvoluted/differential analysis of photosynthetic activity of mixed algal samples is provided by PHYTO-PAM-II instruments.
Rear view of the WATER-PAM-II
WATER-PAM-II with mounted flow through unit
WATER-PAM-II can be powered by standard AA batteries
Design features of this very compact instrument:
- Integrated sunlight readable touchscreen enabling easy operation and providing numerical and graphical display of the measurements
- Practical power supply option: common, easily replaceable, off-the-shelf (rechargable) batteries (type AA)
- Energy-efficient LED light sources and storage capacity of 27 000 data sets permit long-term experiments in the field
- Highly sensitive photomultiplier detector with automatic overexposure protection for safe use even in sunny environments
Extensive set of accessories included: several cuvettes, a cuvette stand and the US-SQS/L Light Sensor for precise light calibration.
Accessories for WATER-PAM-II:
- WATER-II/S Stirrer (device controlled) to prevent settling of sample
- PHYTO-II/FT Flow-Through Cuvette with WATER-II/FT/I Pump Control 0-10 V for automated sampling
- BCS-9590 Barcode Scanner for an easy-to-use administration of measurements of labelled samples
- WATER-II/H Tripod Holder for WATER-PAM-II